Putting our residents first
Skip to content
Environmental Health Officer - Port Health
- Job ref
- Civic Centre, Uxbridge, UB8 1UW
- Residents Services
- Position Type
- Contract hours
- Full time
- Salary (£)
- 33948 to 37842
- Closing date for applications
- 8 December 2019
Hillingdon Council: Putting our residents first.
About the job
X2 Environmental Health Officers - Port Health (Heathrow Airport). This post attracts a non-contractual market factor supplement of £10k per annum, which is subject to annual reviews of the labour market conditions.
We are currently undergoing expansion in this service and have 2 full time vacancies. We are inviting applications from dedicated, passionate and highly motivated Environmental Health Officers with unflagging enthusiasm who can work on their own initiative, and are ready to adapt to future ways of working.
We are a busy service ready to welcome you to our Port Health Imported Food Team based at London Heathrow Airport. You will work on imported food and feed law compliance as part of the Councils Food and Safety Regulation Service, which also has responsibility for inland food law enforcement.
Your duties will include checking and clearing consignments of imported food, sampling and taking enforcement action where necessary.
There may also be opportunity to work with the inland Food Health & Safety Team carrying out food premises inspections.
The work will be challenging and you will need to be highly organised and proactive in overseeing a busy day to schedule of imports. It is important that you are comfortable working under pressure, including making decisions. You will need excellent communication skills and must work well within a team. You must be proficient using IT systems.
About the person
You will be excited to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment at the forefront of the Border Inspection Post at Heathrow Airport.
You must hold a degree or equivalent in Environmental Health and a Certificate of Registration from the Environmental Health Registration Board.
Ability to organise own workload, work with minimal supervision using your own initiative as well as to work as part of a team are essential.
You must be prepared to work outside normal office hours including participating on a stand by Environmental Health Rota. You must also be able to participate in a rota involving hours worked at weekends, including approximately 12-16 weekends per year.
The Service operates between 08.00 and 22.00 hours on weekdays and 09.00 to 15.00 at weekends. We would therefore encourage applications from persons wishing to work both inside and outside of normal office hours. Any full time equivalent working pattern will be considered - please state your working pattern preference in your application.
We offer a range of Company benefits. These vary according to the business area and role but may include:
- local government average salary pension scheme
- free parking (4 days a week) if based at the Civic Centre
- a 36-hour week for all full-time staff
- generous holiday entitlement: a minimum 25 days a year (plus bank holidays), rising to 28 days after five years' service. For mid to senior level positions holiday entitlement is 33 days a year (plus bank holidays) and rise to a maximum of 36 days after 10 year's service.
- career breaks
- childcare schemes for working parents
- flexible working hours
- season ticket loan
- access to a Credit Union
- on-site staff restaurant at Civic Centre
- access to a wide range of training and courses
- discount on a variety of Adult Education courses run by the Council
- payment of professional fees where these are required
- discounts at council-owned leisure centres and swimming pools at Hillingdon (Uxbridge), Queensmead (South Ruislip), Highgrove (Ruislip) and Botwell Green (Hayes)
- cycle purchase scheme
- car sharing scheme
- 30% discount on green fees at council-owned golf courses
Disability Confident Employer
Chartered Institute of Public Finance & Accountancy